When Windows 2000 starts, it scans your hardware for all available devices. Scanning IDE ports that have no devices attached takes time, that you can save.
1. Open Device Manager.
2. On the View menu, Show hidden devices.
3. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
4. Double-click the Primary IDE Channel.
5. Select the Advanced Settings tab.
6. Active devices have a grayed out Device Type. Set any unused Device Type to None.
7. Set Transfer Mode on all devices to DMA if available.
8. Press OK.
9. Repeat steps 5 - 8 for the Secondary IDE Channel.