To install a Windows 2000 print driver on a Windows NT 4.0 print server for point and print functionality:
1. Log on to a Windows 2000 computer as a domain administrator.
2. Use Start / Run / \\NT4PrintServer / OK to display the shares on the the NT 4.0 print server.
3. Open the Printers folder on the print server.
4. Right-click the printer that requires the Windows 2000 print driver and press Sharing.
5. On the Sharing tab, press Additional Drivers.
6. Check the Intel / Windows 2000 option and press OK.
7. Select the location of the .INF file and install the driver.
NOTE: The above procedure may NOT work with 3rd party drivers.
8. With the Windows NT 4.0 print server's Printers folder still selected, press the File / Server Properties / Drivers.
9. You should see the Windows 2000 driver in the Installed print drivers list.
NOTE: You could use Regedt32 to open the Windows NT 4.0 print server's registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers. The Version-2 sub-key is for Windows NT 4.0 and the Version-3 sub-key is for Windows 2000.