A. XP can write data to CD-RW, but not directly from NTBackup. However, you can place backup files in the XP CD-RW write subsystem's spooler, which effectively writes the data directly to CD-RW. To add files to the spooler, perform the following steps:
- Start NTBackup (go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and click Backup).
- Select the Backup tab.
- Select the files that you want to back up to CD-RW.
- Select File for the type of "Backup destination."
- Enter the following file location:
C:\documents and settings\<user name>\Local Settings\<br> Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning\Backup.bkf
If you aren't sure what the <user name> variable needs to be, go to a command prompt and type
echo %userprofile%to check your %userprofile% environment setting.
- After you specify the location of your files in the CD-RW cache, right-click the "CD write" icon in Windows Explorer and select "Write these files to CD" to write the backup files to CD-RW.
Make sure the size of your backup doesn't exceed the capacity of your storage media.