A. IIS configuration information resides in a metabase that consists of an XML document. If you're hosting several Web sites that have separate configurations, backing up the metabase is vital. To back up the IIS metabase, perform the following steps:
- Start the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager snap-in (go to Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, then click Internet Information Services Manager).
- Right-click the name of the machine that hosts the IIS services, then select Backup/Restore Configuration from the All Tasks menu.
- Click Create Backup.
- Enter a name for the backup as this figure shows.
- Optionally select the "Encrypt backup using password" check box and enter a password to protect the backup.
- Click OK.
- Click Close on the main Backup/Restore Configuration window.
The OS will create a metabase backup in the \%windir%\system32\inetsrv\metaback folder. The backup consists of two files: