Cross-references allow you to point the reader to another part of a document. Cross-references are particularly common in technical documents and longer documents.
To create a cross reference:
- Type the text that will point your reader to the other location. For example, type See.
- Choose Insert → Reference ? Cross Reference.
- Configure the reference using the Reference type and the Insert reference to drop-down lists.
- Click Insert.
The cross-reference is a field:
- You can change the content to which the cross-reference points, and the text of the cross-reference will change when you choose Update field.
- If you are reading a document online, you can Ctrl+click a cross-reference to jump to the location that is being referenced.