A. After you run DCPromo, you might receive a NetLogon event (ID 5781) or other dynamic registration errors in the System event log indicating failure to dynamically register DNS records.
You can't rename the computer on the Network Identification tab. To correct this namespace problem, complete the following steps:
- Use DCPromo to demote the DC to a member server.
- In the Control Panel, double-click System, click the Network Identification tab, and select the Change primary DNS suffix when domain membership changes option.
- Run DCPromo to promote the member server to a DC.
If you haven't run DCPromo yet, complete these steps:
- After upgrading to Win2K, use regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters.
- Set the data value of the SyncDomainWithMembership Value Name to 1. If you must add this Value Name, it is a REG_DWORD data type.
To avoid this namespace problem when you perform future updates, you can use How can I use slipstreaming to install Windows 2000 and a service pack at the same time?