A. Follow the steps below after first removing the UPS from the computer
- Start a command prompt (Start - Run - Command)
- Move to the boot partition
- Change the attributes of boot.ini so it can be edited
attrib boot.ini -r -s
- Edit the file (edit boot.ini) and for each line with multi(x) (for
IDE) and scsi(x) (for SCSI) drives add at the end
/noserialmice=comx ----------------------- where x is the com port number
- Set the permissions back on boot.ini
attrib boot.ini +r +s
- Shutdown NT and power off
- Attach the UPS
- Boot the machine and start NT, and NTDETECT will no longer try and search for a mouse on that com port
The /NoSerialMice switch only disables the Microsoft Serial Mouse device driver.
If you have installed any third-party mouse drivers, go into Control Panel - Devices and disable their Serial Mouse drivers as well. For example, if you installed the Logitech Mouseware V8.0 for a Trackman Marble, you must also disable the "Logitech Serial Mouse" device, called "lsermous" (note that the Arial lower-case l looks like a capitol i).