A. Thanks to Mike Gallo for this information.
The default installation of FrontPage Server Extensions gives only users in the Local Administrators group and the Domain Administrators groups rights to publish to the web site. If you want to allow users NOT in one of the Administrators groups rights to publish to a web site you have to explicitly add them. To add them you need to:
- Create the user or group (if necessary) in User Admin
- Open the FrontPage Server Administrator program (Start - Programs - Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack - Microsoft Internet Information Server - FrontPage Server Administrator)
- Select the web site in the 'Select Server or Port' window
Click here to view image
- Click on the 'Security' Button
- And type in the User name or group name in the 'Name' field.
The <Root Web> in the 'Web Name' field refers to the web site you have highlighted in the 'Select Server or Port' window.
When you click on \[OK\] you'll get confirmation that the user/group has been added
This will change the security settings for your web site directory. If you were to check the NT Access Control List for your directory you would see the name you just added in the list