After you install Windows XP SP1 and / or IE 6 SP1, you may experience any of the following:
When you press the paper clip in the Preview pane, the Save Attachments and <filename> commands are NOT available.
When you open an e-mail message, the Save Attachments on the File menu is NOT available, the Attach field is missing from the message, and you receive the subject message in the alert bar.
By default, the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus option is enabled in SP1. Outlook Express thinks this e-mail message is 'unsafe'.
NOTE: Outlook Express uses the Internet Explorer unsafe file list and the Confirm open after download (Folder Options).
If you are sure that the attachment is safe:
1. On the Outlook Express Tools menu, Press Options.
2. On the Security tab, clear the Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus box.
3. Press OK.
To download attachments and scan them for viruses prior to opening them:
1. Open the e-mail message in Outlook Express.
2. Press Save Attachments on the File menu.
3. Specify the folder in the Save To box and press Save.
NOTE: See the following Knowledge Base articles: