Email disclaimer is a disclaimer, notice or warning which is added to an outgoing emails. The purpose of disclaimer include confidentiality, copyright, contract formation, defamation, discrimination, harassment, privilege and viruses. It is also called an email disclosure, footer, sign-off or confidentiality notice.
You can create a disclaimer with the help of transport rule. The transport rule consists of one or more conditions, exceptions and actions. This article focuses on this topic so let’s get started.
1. Log in to Exchange Admin Center (EAC). On the left pane, click mail flow and the rules tab. Click plus (+) sign and then click ‘Apply disclaimers’.
2. Decide what to name your rule and type it into the pane. Choose ‘The recipient is located ... ’ under ‘Apply this rule if’ and then choose ‘Outside the organization’ option.
Under ‘Do the following ...’ option, choose ‘append the disclaimer’.
3. Click ‘Enter text’ and type the legal statement. When you are done, click OK.
4. Click ‘Select one’ to specify the fallback action and choose Ignore. If for some reason, a disclaimer is not added, an email will be sent without it.
5. Leave the other option as default and click Save. A new rule will be added. You can test the rule by sending emails to external recipients.