Q. How do I download files from GitHub?
A. More and more code is stored in GitHub today but for non-developers it can be confusing to understand how to actually get content and download files from GitHub. I recently needed to download the VMM SDN Express scripts from https://github.com/Microsoft/SDN/tree/master/VMM/VMM%20SDN%20Express. However, that page has no obvious download button. Yes, each file could be viewed and its content copy-pasted to a local file, but that's not the best solution.
To download from GitHub, you should navigate to the top level of the project (SDN in this case) and then a green "Code" download button will be visible on the right. Choose the Download ZIP option from the Code pull-down menu. That ZIP file will contain the entire repository content, including the area you wanted. That's the best way to download from GitHub.
- What Is GitHub and What Is It Used For?
- GitHub vs. GitLab: Which One Is Better for Your Enterprise?
- GitHub Updates Improve Code Security, Developer Productivity
- Microsoft’s GitHub Acquisition Changed Windows Development Forever
- What the GitOps Model Is and Why It's Taking Off
- GitHub Good Day Project Identifies Developer Happiness
- GitHub Sponsors Expands to Help Open Source Developers Make More Money