Altova Introduces Version 2007 Release 3 of its Product Line
Altova announced the general availability of Version 2007 Release 3 (v2007r3) of its software product line (XML development, data management, UML modeling, and Web services products). Altova v2007r3 software provides support for the new Microsoft Office 2007 Open XML document format and IBM DB2 9 pure XML databases, as well as numerous other advanced application development and data management capabilities designed to enhance productivity and maximize results.
New in XMLSpy 2007 Release 3. Altova XMLSpy is an XML editor and XML development environment for modeling, editing, transforming, and debugging XML-related technologies. New features in XMLSpy 2007r3 include:
- Extended database functionality. XMLSpy 2007r3 provides a new quick-connect wizard and database query window, allowing users to connect to all major databases, view the structure of their databases, and query them from within XMLSpy using SQL or SQL/XML. Additional new functionality (reserved for IBM DB2 9 in this release) enables the direct execution of XQuery statements against databases, as well as the ability to register XML Schemas and open and edit XML content in databases.
- Microsoft Office 2007 Open XML support. With support for the burgeoning Office Open XML standard, XMLSpy 2007r3 can extract, edit, and transform XML data saved in the new Microsoft Office 2007 default document format. Entry helpers are included for editing data in Word and Excel files, and users can execute XSLT and XQuery transformations on the data, giving them a head start in developing applications that use and process what is sure to become the predominant business data format.
- Comprehensive cascading stylesheet (CSS) editor. While the XMLSpy advanced text view has always supported editing cascading stylesheet (CSS) files, it is now a full-featured CSS editor with syntax coloring, context-sensitive entry helper windows and drop-down menus, and screen tips. Entry helpers provide available CSS properties, HTML elements, and a CSS outline with defined stylesheet rules and classes.
- Enhanced XML Schema and WSDL documentation. XMLSpy s capabilities for documenting XML Schemas and Web service description language (WSDL) files now provide the ability to save files in rich text format (RTF) and create diagrams in enhanced meta-file (EMF) format (a vector graphics format with enhanced zooming and printing capabilities).
- XSLT 1.0 profiler. In addition to support for XSLT 2.0 and XQuery, XMLSpy 2007r3 allows profiling XSLT 1.0 code. With the XSLT 1.0 profiler, users are able to monitor and record detailed metrics for each processing instruction executed during an XSLT transformation to help quickly identify and eliminate bottlenecks.
Learn more about all the features in XMLSpy 2007 at http://www.altova.com/xmlspy.
New in MapForce 2007 Release 3. Altova MapForce is a data integration and Web services implementation tool that maps between any combination of XML, database, flat file, EDI, and/or Web service, then converts data on-the-fly or auto-generates program code for royalty-free use in custom data integration or Web services applications. New capabilities in MapForce 2007r3 include:
- Integration of database XML fields. Users can map XML data directly to and from XML-enabled databases by assigning an XML Schema to the data (exclusive to IBM DB2 9 databases in this release). MapForce then renders the schema as a sub-tree of the database field for direct mapping with disparate data formats via its visual drag-and-drop interface.
- Enhanced database connectivity. MapForce now includes a quick-connect wizard to easily access, preview, and integrate database data. A new database query window is also provided, enabling users to directly analyze SQL data.
- Extended data filtering functionality. Adding to its extensive library of data processing functions, MapForce now supports the SQL-WHERE filter, which allows for precise, high-performance filtering of database sources used in data mapping projects. A SQL statement wizard aids in writing statements to filter database data that will be used as a source in data mapping projects.
Learn more about all the features in MapForce 2007 at http://www.altova.com/mapforce.
New in StyleVision 2007 Release 3. Altova StyleVision is the ultimate visual stylesheet designer for transforming XML and database content into HTML pages, Word/RTF documents, PDF reports, and Altova Authentic electronic forms. It is optimized for single source publishing and allows multiple output styles from a single stylesheet design. New enhancements in StyleVision 2007r3 include:
- Superior database support. StyleVision now works directly with XML data stored inside XML-enabled databases (limited to IBM DB2 9 in this release). Users simply associate database XML fields with XML Schemas, then drag defined data elements onto the design pane for rendering and publishing.
- Table of contents capability. A new table of contents (TOC) capability makes StyleVision 2007r3 attractive for publishing large documents that have source content in XML or databases and require tables of contents when output to HTML, Word, and/or PDF. A context-sensitive right-click menu and wizard allow users to tag items in a design for inclusion in the TOC.
- Formatting Objects Processor 0.93. StyleVision now supports the latest Apache formatting objects processor (FOP) for processing XSL-FO stylesheets to produce PDF output from XML and/or database content. As with the previous Apache processor, FOP 0.93 is available as a free download from the Altova Web site.
- Design fragment reuse. StyleVision 2007r3 provides a new design fragment capability that lets users save a set of formatting rules as a template and re-use that template throughout a design, as required.
Learn more about all the features in StyleVision 2007 at http://www.altova.com/stylevision.
New in UModel 2007 Release 3. Altova UModel is billed as the starting point for successful software development. Billed as the simple, cost-effective way to draw on UML, UModel lets users visually design application models and generate Java and C# code, or reverse engineer existing programs into UML 2.1 diagrams. New updates to UModel 2007r3 include:
- Automated generation of project documentation. This new feature allows users to create development project documentation in HTML, Word, or RTF formats. UModel 2007r3 users can apply settings to specify documentation contents, including UML diagrams, elements, and the level of detail to be included.
- XML Schema reverse-engineering enhancements. Adding to UModel s unique ability to reverse engineer XML Schema design (XSD) files into UML-style diagrams, v2007r3 supports documentation of include and import statements. For increased compatibility with the advanced schema design and editing capabilities of XMLSpy, UModel now supports the same OASIS catalog files as XMLSpy.
- UML diagram enhancements. UModel 2007r3 includes a new Hierarchy helper window that can instantly display the relationship hierarchy of a class, allowing users to see properties and operations inherited from a parent or the existence of offspring. Additionally, UModel now supports the use of frames and headings in UML diagrams.
Learn more about all the features in UModel 2007 at http://www.altova.com/umodel.
New in DatabaseSpy 2007 Release 3. Altova DatabaseSpy is a unique multi-database query and design tool. It connects to all major databases and eases SQL editing and database structure design for a fraction of the cost of single database solutions. New functionality in DatabaseSpy 2007r3 includes:
- Database browser XML support. XML Schemas registered in XML-enabled databases are now displayed in DatabaseSpy s online browser database tree in hierarchical form (only for IBM DB2 9 in this release). Table columns that contain XML data are also shown in the database tree, and the online browser indicates any XML Schemas used to validate them. Additionally, XML Schemas shown in DatabaseSpy can now be sent directly to XMLSpy for editing in its schema design view.
- Design editor XML enhancements. New columns containing XML data can now be added to database tables via the DatabaseSpy design editor (exclusively for IBM DB2 9 in this release). v2007r3 also provides detailed access to properties of XML datatypes stored in any XML-enabled database.
- Customization of SQL auto-completion suggestions. DatabaseSpy 2007r3 lets users modify its auto-completion suggestion menu to create a customized list. This speeds SQL editing by keeping auto-completion pop-up lists to a manageable size, while offering only the suggestions individual users prefer.
Learn more about all the features in DatabaseSpy 2007 at http://www.altova.com/databasespy.
New in SchemaAgent 2007 Release 3. Altova SchemaAgent is the compelling new paradigm for modeling and managing advanced schemas and their networked components. SchemaAgent allows users to visualize XML Schema relationships and construct complex schemas from distributed schema elements via its graphical design interface. New advancements to SchemaAgent 2007r3 include:
- Graphical display of XML instances. SchemaAgent now allows users to connect to and display XML instance documents and their connections to XML Schemas and MapForce data mapping projects in the graphical design view. This allows for a comprehensive view of data connections and interdependencies and allows developers to immediately see which XML instance(s) will be affected when a change is made to the corresponding XML Schema.
Learn more about all the features in SchemaAgent 2007 at http://www.altova.com/schemaagent.
New in AltovaXML 2007 Release 3. AltovaXML is an XML standards processor, comprising the same engines that drive Altova s award-winning XMLSpy, MapForce, and StyleVision development tools. AltovaXML includes Altova s XML validating parser, XSLT 1.0 engine, schema-aware XSLT 2.0 engine, and schema-aware XQuery 1.0 engine, as well as COM, Java, and .NET interfaces so that it can be used within a variety of different applications. New developments in AltovaXML 2007r3 include:
- Office Open XML support. Like XMLSpy 2007r3, AltovaXML now supports the new Microsoft Office 2007 default document format, Open XML. AltovaXML 2007r3 is currently the only XSLT/XQuery engine that provides the ability to repurpose and re-use the vast amount of user data that will be created in Office 2007. Because AltovaXML is offered under a free software license, developers can use it within their own applications to extract and execute XSLT and XQuery transformations on Office Open XML data at no charge.
- Significant speed increase in XSLT 1.0 processor. With a significant speed increase in v2007r3, users can now execute transformations up to seven times faster than the previous AltovaXML implementation to greatly reduce XSLT processing time. This performance claim is based on Altova s internal testing. User results are dependent on a number of factors, including system configuration, and may vary accordingly.
Learn more about all the capabilities of AltovaXML 2007 at http://www.altova.com/altovaxml.html.
More information on all the new features in the Altova product line is available at http://www.altova.com/whatsnew.html. 30-day free trials of all Altova products may be downloaded from http://www.altova.com/download.html. The Altova MissionKit 2007 bundles up to eight Altova products for less than the price of two. All MissionKits include XMLSpy, MapForce, and StyleVision at substantial savings, plus options are available that add up to five application development, data management, and modeling tools (including the others mentioned above), effectively free of charge. The Altova MissionKit is currently available with pricing starting at US$740.
Altova recommends the purchase of its Support and Maintenance Package (SMP) with all software purchases. Altova SMP provides free software version upgrades, maintenance releases, and priority technical support for the duration of the support period. SMP can be purchased for 25% of the product license price for a one-year period, or 20% per year for a two-year period.
Price: XMLSpy 2007, US$499; MapForce 2007, US$249; StyleVision 2007, US$249; UModel 2007, US$129; DatabaseSpy 2007, US$129; SchemaAgent 2007, US$129. These products may be purchased directly from the Altova Online Shop at https://shop.altova.com.
Web Site: http://www.altova.com