Q. How do I upgrade SCVMM to 2016?
A. Pretty much all of the SCVMM configuration is in its SQL database with the exception of things like libraries which are file shares. There is no in-place upgrade however the end result is an upgrade of the installation as the following is performed:
- Perform a backup of the SCVMM SQL database
- Uninstall SCVMM 2012 R2 and select the option to retain the database
- Perform an installation of SCVMM 2016 and select to use the existing database and existing share for the library
- Post installation you may need to reinstall add-ons like Azure Site Recovery and re-establish communication
- In the fabric you will need to update the agent on all the hosts