When you use the WSUS 2.0 (Windows Server Update Services) console to make a change, you receive an error similar to the following when you attempt to open the Update Services node in the Windows Small Business Server Administrator console:
Windows Small Business Server (Windows SBS) Update Services is not running because it automatically turns off if you customize Windows Server Update Services (WSUS).
For a list of specific settings that cause Windows SBS Software Update Services to turn off, see the Microsoft Web site. Even if WSUS is managing updates for your network, the accuracy of the status in the Windows SBS monitoring report or on the Update Services home page cannot be guaranteed. To use Windows SBS Update Services, reverse the changes that you have made to WSUS or reinstall Windows SBS 2003 R2.
This behavior will occur if any of the following is true:
- The list of products to download updates for is not set to All Microsoft products.
- The WSUS service has been stopped.
- The Approve for Detection option is not enabled for the All Computers group in WSUS 2.0.
- The update classifications section does not have the critical and security updates and service packs option turned on.
- The Approve for Detection classifications section does not have the critical and security updates and service packs option turned on.
- The Approve for Installation option is enabled for the All Computers group in WSUS 2.0.
- The Target mode option is set to Server Mode in WSUS 2.0.
- The Synchronize manually option is turned on.
To workaround this behavior, either reinstall Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2, or reverse any of the configuration changes you made that caused Windows Small Business Server 2003 Update Services to stop managing updates.