After applying the Security Roll Up Package Q319733, when you attempt to start Windows 2000, you receive:
The Procedure entry point LsaOpenPolicySce could not be located in the dynamic link library ADVAPI32.dll.
When you press OK, the computer restarts with:
System Process C:\Winnt\System32\Lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code 128.
The system will now shut down and restart.
The problem may occur if you used Windows Update to install the package, instead of downloading it.
To fix the problem:
01. Boot the Windows 2000 CD-ROM or Setup floppy disks.
02. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to repair the installation.
03. Press C to start the Recovery Console.
04. Type the installation number that you wish to repair and press Enter.
05. Type the administrator password that you provided when you installed Windows 2000 and press Enter.
06. Type cd \winnt\$ntuninstallq319733$ and press Enter.
07. Type copy advapi32.dll c:\winnt\system32\advapi32.dll and press Enter.
08. Press Y to confirm overwriting the file and press Enter.
09. Remove the media you used to start Setup.
10. Type exit and press Enter to restart your computer.
11. Reapply your latest Service Pack and all the current hotfixes.
NOTE: Winnt and C:\Winnt refer to the location of Windows.
NOTE: Instead of step 11, you can download and install the Q319733 Security Roll Up Package.