When you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3), folder Properties are unavailable. Additionally, some services (World Wide Web Publishing Service, SMTP, ...) may NOT start.
If you have 3rd party firewall software installed, it may require permission on some of the new files before it can display a dialog.
To workaround this problem:
1. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
2. Expand Services and Applications.
3. Expand Services.
4. Locate the services that did not start and record their Startup Type.
5. Set their Startup Type to Disabled.
6. When you are finished, shutdown and restart Windows 2000.
7. Reset all the modified services to their original Startup Type.
8. Start these services. Your firewall software should ask for permission. Grant this permission and tell it to remember your answer.
9. When finished, shutdown and restart Windows 2000.