When you use Internet Explorer 5.x, and later, to logon to a secure FTP site, you receive:
An error occurred opening the folder on the FTP Server. Make sure you have permission to access this folder.
To workaround this issue:
1. Use Tools / Internet Options / Advanced to check the Enable folder view for FTP sites box.
2. Press Apply and OK.
3. When you receive the above error message, press OK.
4. On the File menu, press Login As.
5. Type your user name in the User Name box and press the TAB key.
6. Type your password in the Password box and press Login.
NOTE: The user name and password are passed as plain text and may be visible on the title bar or status bar.