If the subject condition occurs, any of the following may result:
1. Desktop icons are missing for several minutes after log on.
2. Services are randomly in the Stopping state.
3. Your computer appears to hang while the Preparing Network Connections message is displayed.
4. You loose Internet connectivity.
5. When you try to view the Properties of an adapter, the Properties page does NOT display.
6. The Internet Connection Wizard does NOT work and the bottom of the \Program Files\Microsoft BackOffice\Support\Icwlog.txt file contains calling _RestartService (DNS).
7. You cannot view the Properties of a service without hanging the snap-in.
8. Your receive either of the following when starting or stopping services:
Could not start the service name on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. Could not stop the service name on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.It is likely that you have changed the Startup type of the Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service from it default of Manual to Automatic.
Since the snap-in will NOT work properly, use the dmadmin.reg file, which contains:
REGEDIT4 \[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\dmadmin\] "Start"=dword:00000003After Merging the dmadmin.reg file, shutdown and restart your computer.
NOTE: See tip 0324.