When you use Control Panel / Network .... to remove a network adapter, residual entries in the registry may cause the following error message:
Component configuration option value missing in registry.
The System event log may contain:
Event ID: 7000 Description: A device attached to the system is not functioning.To fix the problem:
1. Use regedt32 to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\<Adapter>, if present, and delete the key.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NWLinkIPX\NetConfig, if present, and delete any sub-key that pertains to the removed adapter.
3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\<Adapter or Manufacturer>, if present, and delete any sub-key that pertains to the removed adapter.
4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\NetworkCards, and delete any <number> sub-keys pertaining to the removed adapter.
5. Exit Regedt32 and restart your computer.