Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 307314 contains the following summary:
This step-by-step article describes how to install Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) to a Windows 2000-based server. WINS provides name resolution of Internet protocol (IP) addresses to NetBIOS names. WINS automatically maintains a database that
contains the mappings between IP addresses and NetBIOS (host or friendly) names. WINS is a replacement for the LMHosts file that requires manual configuration.
Before you begin this procedure, you must have the following information:
- The DHCP and a DHCP scope
- The host name or friendly name that you want to assign for your server
- The IP address that you have assigned for your WINS server.
- The subnet mask for your server
- The default gateway for your server
- The IP address of your preferred DNS server
- The IP address of your alternate DNS server if you have one.