When you attempt to install a Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 Service Pack, you receive the following message:
Service Pack Setup could not find the Setup.log file in your repair directory.
Service Pack Setup cannot open or modify your Setup.log file.
This error can occur if:
- The %SystemRoot%\Repair\setup.log file is missing or damaged.
- The %SystemRoot%\Repair folder has been deleted.
- You have changed the location where Windows was installed, an unsupported activity.
To recover, perform one of the following:
0. Restore the %SystemRoot%\Repair folder from a backup.
1. If you have an ERD, copy the Setup.log file to the %SystemRoot%\Repair folder.
2. If you have identical hardware and Windows components on another computer, copy the Setup.log from that computer.
3. Create a Setup.log file:
\[Files.WinNt\] \%Systemroot%\System32\Hal.dll = "hal.dll","d023" \[Paths\] TargetDirectory = "\%Systemroot%"NOTE: Replace %Systemroot% with the folder where NT / 2000 is installed.
NOTE: See tip 2013 and links for the proper HAL.