After installing WINS, you receive the following message when you try to access the WINS database from a local log on to the WINS server computer:
Cannot find the WINS server. The WINS server you specified cannot be located. The WINS server might be down, there might be network problems, or the WINS service might not be installed. The error was: The network path was not found.WINS Manager is dependant on the Remote Registry Service. If the service is not started, the WINS process is not initialized, even though it looks like it is running.
To workaround this issue:
1. Right-click My Computer and press Manage.
2. Expand Services and Applications and press Services.
3. Scroll to Remote Registry Service and double-click it.
4. Select the General tab.
5. Set Startup type to Automatic and press Apply.
6. Press Start.
7. Press OK and close the Computer Management window.