If you installed Outlook 2000 with the Internet Mail Only option, connecting to a POP server to retrieve your email does not retain your password.
To resolve the problem:
01. In Outlook 2000, use the Help menu to select About Microsoft Outlook. If the you don't see Internet Mail Only, exit this procedure.
02. Exit all running applications.
03. Use Regedt32 to navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
04. Select the Protected Storage System Provider key.
05. On the Security menu, Press Permissions.
06. If you are running Windows NT 4.0, grant the logged on user Full Control and Replace Permission on Existing Subkeys. If you are running Windows 2000, press the Advanced button. Check the Reset permissions on all child objects..... box and press Apply and OK. Insure that the currently logged on user has Full Control and respond affirmatively if you are prompted when resetting the permissions.
07. Delete the subkey of all users that have this password retention problem.
08. Exit Regedt32 and restart the computer.
09. Control Panel / Mail or Control Panel / Mail and Fax.
10. Select Internet E-mail in the Services list.
11. Press Properties.
12. Select the Server tab.
13. Enter the Password and select Remember Password.
14. Press Apply and OK.
15. Start Outlook.
16. Press Send and Receive on the Tools menu to verify that your password has been retained.
NOTE: You must enter the password and select Remember Password for each profile that is having password retention problems. These users may have to logon to reapply their password settings.