If you are connecting with a Windows 2000 client, you may receive:
Error 913: A Remote Access Client attempted to connect over a port that was reserved for Routers only.
A Windows NT 4.0 client may receive:
Error 629: The data link was terminated by the remote machine.
A Windows 98 client may receive:
Error 645: Dial-Up Networking could not complete the connection to the server. Check your configuration and try the connection again.
The servers System event log may contain:
Event ID: 20188
Description: The user <UserName>, attempting to connect on port <port>, was disconnected because of the following reason:
A Remote Access Client attempted to connect over a port that was reserved for Routers only.
You may have forgotten to configure the servers RAS port to accept remote access connections.
To configure the port:
1. Start the Routing and Remote Access administration tool.
2. Expand the options under your RAS server's name.
3. Press Ports and then Properties on the Action menu.
4. Select the appropriate port (L2TP, Modem, PPTP, LPT1, etc...), and then press Configure.
5. Check the Remote access connections (inbound only) box and press OK.
6. Press Apply.
7. Press OK.