The demand-dial interfaces show a connection state of unreachable? Dial-up connections report Error 797? Control Panel / Phone and Modem Options show the moden as Not present?
If you shutdown while the demain-dial interface is connected, the above problems can occur.
The workaround is to either restart your computer or:
1. Control Panel / Phone and Modem Options.
2. Select the Modems tab.
3. Press Add, leaving the Not present modem installed.
4. In the Add/Remove Hardware wizard, press Next to allow the wizard to try to detect the modem.
5. After no new modem is detected, press Cancel.
6. Close the Phone and Modem Options tool.
7. Open the Phone and Modem Options tool.
8. Your modem should now be displayed as connected to the appropriate port.
9 Close the Phone and Modem Options tool.
Your modem should now function.