If you installed the Recovery Console by switching to the CD-ROM drive and typing \i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons, the installation of a service pack does NOT update these files at %SystemDrive%\Cmdcons.
You must resinstall the Recovery Console from a slipstreamed distribution folder.
To create the slipstreamed distribution folder:
1. Create a folder on the network (or local drive) and share it. Example: C:\Win2000.
2. Copy the Windows 2000 CD-ROM to the folder you created in step 1.
3. If your copy of Windows 2000 SPx is on a CD-ROM, run <CD-ROM:>\i386\update\update.exe /s:c:\win2000
to create the slipstreamed installation on the C:\Win2000 folder.
4. If your copy of Windows 2000 SPx was a network installation download:
Extract SPx to a temporary folder, C:\Win2000SPx, by running spxFileName.exe /x and extracting the files to C:\Win2000SP1x.
Create the slipstreamed installation in C:\Win2000 by running C:\Win2000SPx\\i386\update\update.exe /s:c:\win2000.
5. Update or install the Recovery Console by running winnt32.exe /cmdcons from the slipstreamed installation
To do it locally on the distribution computer, run C:\Win2000\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons.
To run it on a remote computer, run \\DistributionServerName\slipstreamedShareName\\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons.