If devices attached to your COM ports don't functiuon, after you install Windows 2000, you may have run into a bug.
To resolve the issue:
01. Flash your computer's BIOS to the most current version.
02. Manually install and configure your COM ports at Control Panel / Add/Remove Hardware
03. Press Next / Add/Troubleshoot a Device / Next.
04. Wait for the Plug and Play process to finish.
05. Press Add a new device and Next.
06. Press No, I want to select the hardware from a list and Next.
07. Select Ports (COM & LPT) in Hardware types and press Next.
08. In the Manufacturers box, Select Standard port types.
09. Select Communications Port in the Models box and press Next.
10. On the Resources tab, select Set configuration manually.
11. Set the resources for your COM port.
12. Press Finish.
13. Shutdown and restart your computer.
NOTE: After the COM ports are functioning, you can install any devices that use them.