When you try to start the Spooler service, you are greeted with:
An application error has occurred and an application error log is being generated. Spoolss.exe Exception: access violation (0xC0000005), Address: Also, you may receive the following error message: Application exception occurred: App: spoolss.dbg (pid= ) Exception number: c0000005 (access violation)This can happen when the print monitor is damaged or a spool file is corrupt.
Try the following, attempting to start the Spooler service after each. If it starts, don't continue:
1. Control Panel / Services / Spooler / Startup. Configure the Spooler to to log on with the System Account and to Allow Service to interact with desktop. Click OK.
2. Browse to the Spool folder(s) at %SystemRoot%\System32\Spool\Printers and delete any .shd and .spl files.
3. Remove or rename any .tmp files in the %TEMP% folder.
4. Use Regedt32 to delete the printer:
Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Environments\Windows NT x86\Drivers\Version-2\<PrinterName>
Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\<PrinterName>. Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.
Delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Providers\LanMan Print Services\Servers<ServerName>\Printers\<PrinterName>. Restart the computer and reinstall the printer.
5. Use Regedt32 to delete the print monitor sub-keys at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Monitors and restart the computer.