You receive an error when you attempt to open Outlook Express, or the Windows Address Book, after installing MS06-016: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express, that resembles unable to open address book. Address book may not be installed correctly or an error that states that you must reinstall Outlook Express or the Windows Address Book, or you may be unable to send or reply to e-mail.
Earlier versions of Outlook Express did not detect all address book corruption, but MS06-016 causes Outlook Express to inspect each address book file looking for corruption. If corruption is found, you experience this behavior.
To fix this issue:
1. Uninstall cumulative security update 911567.
2. Open a CMD.EXE window.
3. Type the following commands, pressing Enter after each line:
COPY "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<UserName.wab>" "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop\backup.wab" DEL /Q "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<UserName.*>"4. Start Outlook Express 6.
5. Use the Tools menu and press Address Book, which should not contain any contacts.
6. Use the the File menu to press Import and Address Book.
7. Import the backup.wab file from "C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName>\Desktop\backup.wab".
8. Reinstall MS06-016: Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express.