Normally, you have to enable the Alerter Service manually or remotely, after an install. You can use the following technique to enable it during an unattended install:
1. Logon to any Windows NT 4.0 computer and enable the Alerter Service by using Control Panel / Services / Alerter / Startup / Automatic.
2. Using Regedit, export HKEY_Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Alerter as Alerter.reg.
3. Edit the Cmdlines.txt in the $OEM$ folder of the distribution share. Add .\Regedit.exe /s .\Alerter.reg to the \[commands\] section.
4. Copy Regedit.exe and Alerter.reg to the $OEM$ folder.
5. Edit the Unattend.txt file and add OemPreinstall = yes to the \[unattended\] section.