In addition to highlighting a document, you can add comments to a document.
When doing any kind of markup, commenting, or reviewing, it is helpful to have the Reviewing toolbar visible. The Reviewing toolbar has numerous shortcuts to make these tasks easier.
To turn on the Reviewing toolbar
Do one of the following:
- Choose View → Toolbars ? Reviewing.
- Right-click any toolbar and select Reviewing.
To create a comment
- Select the text you want to comment on, or position the insertion point after the text.
- Click the Insert Comment button.
- Type the text of your comment.
Comments appear as markup in the document.
- Comments will be color-coded for each user who added comments.
- If you point at and hover over a comment, a tip will appear with the comment.
- If you are viewing markup, comments appear by default as balloons in the right margin of the document. The balloons are also color coded and include the initials of the users who made the comments.
- You can also view markup in the Reviewing pane.
To control the appearance of comments in a document
Do one of the following:
- Choose an option from the Display for Review drop-down list on the Reviewing toolbar.
Options that show Markup will display comments.
- Choose View ? Markup.
- Click the Show button on the Reviewing toolbar and select what types of markup you want to display, and from which Reviewers. You can also decide whether you want to see the comments as balloons.
- Click the Reviewing Pane button to expand (show) or collapse (hide) the reviewing pane.
The reviewing pane appears at the bottom of the window and shows you comments in a list form.
- Click the Show button and choose Options. In the Track Changes dialog box, you can specify the formatting with which comments and other markup are displayed.
To print or hide comments in a printed document:
- Choose File ? Print.
- Choose an option from the Print what list.
To navigate between comments in a document, do one of the following:
- Click the Next and Previous buttons in the Reviewing toolbar.
- Click the Select Browse Object button and choose Browse by Comment.
Then use the Previous and Next buttons in the vertical scrollbar, or Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn to navigate between comments.
To edit a comment
- Right-click a comment and choose Edit Comment
To delete a comment
- Right-click a comment and choose Delete Comment
The comment will be deleted. The text to which the comment applied remains.
- Click the drop-down arrow of the Reject Change button on the Reviewing toolbar. Select Delete All Comments in Document, or Delete All Comments Shown, which deletes only comments from users currently displayed, based on the Show ? Reviewers menu on the Reviewing toolbar.