- Name first: Name cells and ranges before creating formulas & functions that refer to them
- Start with equal (=)
- End with ENTER
Use your mouse to select references, or use a name
- Whenever possible, use your mouse to select cells. Do not type cell addresses or ranges as doing so is kludgy and potentially inaccurate.
- Click/drag on the worksheet to select a cell or range when the reference should change as you fill the formula (i.e. a relative reference)
- Select a named cell or range if the reference should stay the same as you fill the formula (i.e. an absolute or mixed reference). Or press F3 or choose Insert → Name ? Paste to select a name. It's OK to break the rule and type the name, rather than using your mouse. But only when it's a named cell or range--no typing addresses!!
- AutoFill the resulting formula: If you've entered a formula properly, you can then AutoFill or copy/paste it, and it will be correct.