When the backup application causes Plug and Play to check the status of your tape, it sends TEST UNIT READY requests to the device. This request may cause conflicts with other operations on your computer.
To workaround this problem:
1. Open Regedit.exe.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.
3. Scroll to the sub-key that represents your storage device, right-click it, and press New and DWORD.
4. Name the Value Name AutoRun.
5. Right-click the AutoRun Value Name and press Modify.
6. Set the data value to 0.
7. Press OK.
8. Exit the Registry Editor.
NOTE: You may have to Stop and Start the device for your setting to become effective.