The subject behavior will occur if there is insufficient free space available on the tape media to complete the backup.
To workaround this behavior, use any of the following:
- Use a tape library to perform an unattended backup that requires more than 1 tape.
- Use media with a larger capacity.
- If you are appending the media, don't.
- Try using a cleaning tape to clean the tape drive heads.
- Backup less data, or split the backup into two or more jobs.
- Make sure that hardware compression is enabled.