When you finish a non-authoritative restore of Active Directory, WINS on the domain controller does NOT start. If you start it manually, you receive:
Could not start the Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) on the Local Computer. Error 3758096385.
The System event log may contain any of the following:
Event ID: 7023 Description: The Windows Internet Name Service terminated with the following error: %3758096385 Event ID: 4165 Description: WINS has encountered an error that is causing it to shut down. Event ID: 4291 Description: WINS tried to get its addresses but failed. Troubleshooting, even if it includes restoring the WINS database or removing and reinstalling WINS, does not resolve this issue.This error may be the result of a damaged TCP/IP configuration on your domain controller.
To fix the problem:
01. Restart Windows 2000.
02. Press F8 to display the Advanced Options.
03. Choose Directory Services Restore Mode.
04. Choose the appropriate Windows 2000 Server installation and press Enter.
05. Log on by using the Directory Services Restore Mode credentials that you supplied when you configured the domain controller.
06. Press OK to confirm you are using Safe mode.
07. Use Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / Add/Remove Windows Components.
08. Select Networking Services and press Details.
09. If DNS, DHCP, and or WINS is checked, write down which ones are checked and clear the check boxes.
10. Press OK, Next, Finish, and Close.
11. Right-click Control Panel / Network and Dial-up Connections and press Open.
12. Right-click Local Area Connection and press Properties.
13. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press Properties.
14. Write down the configuration and press OK.
15. Clear the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) check box and press OK.
16. Press Yes to confirm and press OK.
17. Restart the domain controller in Directory Services Restore Mode.
18. Right-click Control Panel / Network and Dial-up Connections and press Open.
19. Right-click Local Area Connection and press Properties.
20. Check the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) box and press OK. Make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks and File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is also checked.
21. Use Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs / Add/Remove Windows Components.
22. Select Networking Services and press Details.
23. Check the services that you wrote down from step 09.
24. Press OK and NEXT. If you are prompted for the Windows 2000 Server CD-ROM, insert it and press OK. You may be prompted to configure TCP/IP settings to support WINS. Configure your settings per step 14.
25. Press Finish, Close, and Close.
26. Shutdown and restart normally.