When you choose a new refresh rate from the list of valid Modes, Windows 2000 may cease to output any video, or your screen may be distorted?
The INF file that contains your monitors restriction has not factored in all resolutions.
To resolve this issue:
1. Restart your Windows 2000 computer in Safe mode.
2. Right-click an empty area of the desktop and press Properties.
3. Navigate to Settings / Advanced / Adapter / List All Modes.
4. Select a mode that is supported by your video card and monitor.
5. Press OK.
6. Press Apply on the Adapter tab.
7. Press OK.
8. Press OK.