A. Windows NT contains the Virtual Private Network as standard and to install perform the following:
- Start the Network Control Panel Applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network or right click on Network Neighborhood and select Properties)
- Select the Protocols tab
- Click Add
- Select 'Point To Point Tunneling Protocol' and click OK
- You may be asked for the Windows NT CD.
- Select the number of virtual private networks and click OK
- The RAS setup dialog will be shown. Click Add
- Select 'VPN1 - RASPPTPM' and click OK
- Click Continue to the RAS dialog
- Click Close on the Network dialog
- Reboot the machine
Once the machine has rebooted to create a new VPN connection start the Dial-Up Networking software and double click New.
Under the device select "Microsoft VPN Adapter", and under Phone number the host name or IP address of the VPN server.
To make a connection dial into the Internet then select the VPN connection, enter a username and password and you are connected!
You can check PPP is working by using the IPCONFIG command
PPP adapter NdisWan4:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 188.8.131.52
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 184.108.40.206