A. WMP 8 includes a built-in, high-quality Windows Media Audio (WMA) ripper but includes only a low-quality MP3 ripper that stores audio at 56Kbps. To enable high-quality MP3 ripping, perform the following steps (you don't need to perform these steps if you've purchased third-party MP3 ripping software):
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Settings\MP3Encoding subkey.
- Create or modify the following DWORD values:
- LowRate - 64000 (decimal)
- MediumRate - 128000 (decimal)
- MediumHighRate - 192000 (decimal)
- HighRate - 320000 (decimal)
- Close the registry editor.
- Log off and log back on for the change to take effect.
A complete list of available data-quality speeds is
- 320Kbps DWORD:0004e200
- 256Kbps DWORD:0003e800
- 224Kbps DWORD:00036b00
- 192Kbps DWORD:0002ee00
- 160Kbps DWORD:00027100
- 128Kbps DWORD:0001f400
- 112Kbps DWORD:0001b580
- 64Kbps DWORD:0000fa00
- 56Kbps DWORD:0000dac0