After installing the latest build for Windows 10 (Build 9926), you might experience an issue where a new Build shows available, but when you attempt to download and install, it gives an error message (0x80246017) like the following:
Windows 10 Build 9926 introduced this bug and it will take a registry modification to fix it. According to Microsoft, Windows Update should've set the registry keys back to the proper value, but failed to do so. Microsoft will fix this issue in the next build.
Here's what to do…
- Open the registry editor and navigate to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
- Locate BranchName and make sure it shows: FBL_AWESOME1501. If it doesn't, change it.
- Locate ThresholdRiskLevel and change it to: low
- Find ThresholdInternal and delete it.
- Find ThresholdOptedIn and delete it.
Here's what it looks like, before and after…
Once you make this change and force Windows Update to check again, your installation of Windows 10 9926 will show no new builds available.