A: Microsoft has released version 7 of the Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP), which has full support for planning for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Additionally, after reading the features, I see it shows Linux is also supported, allowing discovery and planning for your Linux workloads. Other key new features include the following:
- Understand your readiness to deploy Windows Server 2012 in your environment.
- Determine Windows 8 readiness.
- Investigate how Windows Server and System Center can manage your heterogeneous environment through VMware migration and Linux server virtualization assessments.
- Size your desktop virtualization needs for both Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) and session-based virtualization using Remote Desktop Services.
- Ready your information platform for the cloud with the SQL Server 2012 discovery and migration assessment.
- Evaluate your licensing needs with usage tracking for Lync 2010, active users and devices, SQL Server 2012, and Windows Server 2012.