Microsoft posted the Internet Explorer 4.0 Web site today at http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40/. Judging from the screenshots and information in this site, IE 4 is more than a simple upgrade from IE 3.
Design goals for Internet Explorer 4.0 include:
- To build the best browser possible to electrify the end user's Internet experience.
- To provide a foundation so others could contribute to a new generation of exciting, interactive, and functional Web content.
Major new features include:
- Customizable user interface
- Desktop acts as browser window for live content
- New Start menu and taskbar with Web-related objects
- AutoComplete - recalls Internet addresses so you don't have to re-type
- Stronger security
- HTML Help - Help system is now built into Web pages
- Dynamic HTML
- Site Subscriptions - "Pulled" content updated automatically
- Premium Channels - dynamic Web sites delivered to your desktop
Major new components include:
- Active Desktop - Web pages, Desktop Components, and Internet news...right on your desktop
- Smart Favorites - Find out when your favorite Web sites are updated
- Outlook Express - E-mail and newsgroup client
- Netmeeting – Conferencing
- FrontPad HTML Authoring tool
- Web Publishing Wizard and Personal Web Server
- NetShow video broadcasting
- Internet Connection Wizard
Want more information?
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 Platform Preview