A. Due to Terminal Services architecture (be it NT 4.0 Terminal Services Edition or Windows 2000 with terminal services enabled) some software cannot be installed in the normal way as is the case for Office 2000.
If you attempt to install on a terminal services machine you will receive the following error:
Some default settings in Microsoft Office 2000 setup do not work properly on a Windows Terminal Server. To install Office on Terminal Server, you must use the instructions and tools available in your Office 2000 Resource Kit or at http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/.
To install successfully you must use the resource kit transform file (.mst file) as follows:
- Copy TermSrvr.mst from the resource kit or from the download file at http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2000/download/ORKTools.exe to a folder on your machine
- Start the Add/Remove Programs control panel applet (Start - Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove programs)
- Click Install for NT 4.0 or click 'Add New Programs' then 'CD or Floppy' if using Windows 2000
- Click Next
- Click the browse button and select the SETUP.EXE in the root of the Office 2000 CD and click OK (Open in 2000)
- In the Command line for installation program box, append the following parameter after Setup.exe, separated by a space:
where path is the location of the .mst file. This command identifies the Terminal Server transform to use during installation.
Click here to view image
- Click Next.
- In the Change User Options dialog box, select All users begin with common application settings, and then click Next to run Office Setup.