Q: Is there an easy way on my Windows 8 desktop to have a list of applications pinned to my task bar?
A: Many people still want the Start menu in Windows 8. They either haven't gotten used to the Start Screen or just prefer the idea of the Start menu. Some third-party solutions add a Start menu back to Windows 8 (such as Start8), but it's also possible to do it yourself by simply pinning a folder to the task bar:
- Create a folder in your system that will host the popular application shortcuts.
- Create shortcuts to the applications you want displayed in that folder (right-click the source EXE, then in the target folder right-click and select Paste shortcut).
- Right-click the task bar and under Toolbars, select New toolbar...
- Select the folder you created.
- You can rename the shortcut folder to whatever you need, and see all the shortcuts in the folder (see screen shot).