Q: I installed Remote Desktop Web Access on my Remote Desktop Gateway server. I want to enable users to access back-end systems via Connect to a remote PC, but I can't connect to back-end systems because Remote Desktop Gateway isn't being used. How do I fix this?
A: Remote Desktop Web Access offers several capabilities, including publishing desktops and applications. It can also be enabled to offer a Connect to a remote PC option that enables the user to type in the name of a target computer that will then be connected to via RDP. Even if Remote Desktop Web Access is installed on the Remote Desktop Gateway server by default, Remote Desktop Gateway won't actually be used. To work around this problem, follow these steps:
- Launch Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager.
- Navigate to <IIS Server Name>, Sites, Default Web Site, RDWeb; select Pages.
- In the ASP.NET section, select Application Settings.
- Ensure Features View is selected and set your gateway server name in the DefaultTSGateway value. Also ensure ShowDesktops is set to True.
- Restart the IIS service by right-clicking Default Web Site and selecting Manage Website, Restart.