Over 1 Million People Testing Windows 10

Over 1 Million People Testing Windows 10

What did I say about stats earlier today? If you missed it, see: Why Windows 10's Technical Preview Feedback Promise Might Be Backfiring.

1 million is a fantastic number and that's the string of digits Microsoft is heralding today as the total of registrants in the Windows Insider Program. Over the weekend, Microsoft hit that glorious number, showing that there are, indeed, over 1 million people who believe they are technical enough to give Windows 10 the proper once over.

More stats…

In a blog post today, Microsoft is giving more details they've uncovered during the first week or so of Windows 10 testing.

  • 36% of Windows 10 installations are running on virtual machines, and the other 64% are running on actual PCs. Based on this stat, Microsoft assumes that folks are actually using Windows 10 instead of just looking at its fancy new UI.
  • 68% of testers are launching more than 7 apps per day. I'd be interested to hear what gets consideration of being an actual app, and if running a single app twice counts as 2. If an app launches and crashes, and then is run again – does that count as 2 also?
  • 25% are running more than 26 apps per day. 26 is a big number, considering some might run between 10-15 on a normal day, but 26?
  • 5% are digging deep and running 68 apps per day. Wow…not sure I run 68 different apps in a single year.

Probably the most useful piece of information in the blog post is the forced outing of Gabriel Aul, who is the engineering leader at Microsoft on the Windows Insider team. Gabriel started his Twitter life this morning with 8 or so followers, but that's sure to escalate quickly. You can follow Gabriel here: @GabeAul

So, back to my earlier commentary for a minute. It's fantastical to me that there are over 1 million people signed up as Windows Insiders (supposedly people with technical acumen), yet the number 2 requested feature for Windows 10 is "Add a little animation/transition when opening the Start menu."

 

Hide comments

Comments

  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.
Publish