Around the Web
TECHNOLOGIES: DataGrid Control
Master the DataGrid Control
By Paul Litwin
One of the most fascinating of ASP.NET server controls is the DataGrid control. You can use it to display and edit data in a grid. Much has been written about the DataGrid. In fact, Dino Esposito and others have written quite a bit about the DataGrid control in asp.netPRO. (You can search for asp.netPRO articles by keyword at http://www.aspnetpro.com/search/default.asp. A search of "datagrid" turned up a couple dozen hits.) In addition to the writings in asp.netPRO, there's a lot on the Web about this popular topic. Here's a sampling of what's out there:
- http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/040502-1.aspx: Scott Mitchell (book author, creator of the 4guysfromrolla.com Web site, and asp.netPRO contributing writer) wrote a nine-part tutorial on the DataGrid control (yes, that's nine parts!) that examines much of this important control's functionality.
- http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/howto/default.aspx?id=10: Doug Seven (book author, co-creator of the dotnetjunkies.com Web site, and columnist for asp.netPRO) wrote an article on adding an editable drop-down list control to a DataGrid control.
- http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/tutorials.aspx?tutorialid=135: Another article by Doug Seven, this time on creating a master/detail DataGrid.
- http://www.datagridgirl.com/rowselector.aspx: Marcie Jones (she likes to call herself DataGrid Girl) wrote an article on how to use a custom control to provide the ability to select a row of a grid using a radio button or checkbox.
- http://www.dotnetjunkies.com/howto/default.aspx?id=44: An interesting article by Julie Lerman on how to create a DataGrid that uses a scroll bar rather than pagination. The trick involves none other than the lowly HTML Label control.
- http://aspnet.4guysfromrolla.com/articles/100202-1.aspx: John Dyer wrote a recent article on how to create a custom DataGridColumn class.
- http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndive/html/Data02142002.asp?frame=true: And last but not least, an article by asp.netPRO columnist Dino Esposito on creating an Excel-like DataGrid.
Paul Litwin is editor and technical director of asp.netPRO. E-mail him at [email protected].