Q: How can I make an existing virtual machine (VM) a failover cluster resource in Windows Server 2012?
A: If you have VMs on cluster nodes that are not currently cluster resources, it's a simple process to make them highly available, provided they're using cluster storage (such as a Cluster Shared Volume):
- Start Failover Cluster Manager.
- Expand the cluster Roles.
- Select the Configure Role... action.
- Click Next to the introduction wizard.
- In the Select Role dialog box, select Virtual Machine as the type and click Next.
Select all the virtual machines you want to make highly available and click Next.
- Click Next to the confirmation.
- Click Finish to the report, which should show Success for all. If there are Warnings, check and resolve problems if needed.