A. XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) adds support for 48-bit Logical Block Addressing (LBA) for ATAPI drives, which lets the OS access hard disks larger than 137GB (the current limit). For this change to work, you must have
- a 48-bit LBA-compatible BIOS
- a hard disk with a capacity greater than 137GB
- XP SP1
To enable 48-bit support, perform the following steps:
- Start a registry editor (e.g., regedit.exe).
- Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
- From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
- Enter a name of EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
- Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
- Reboot the machine for the changes to take effect.