Almost a full month-and-a-half after the release of Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, and System Center 2012 R2, Microsoft has released its Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) 2013 R2.
If you're not familiar, MDOP is a suite of tools available for Software Assurance customers that helps organizations maximize Windows through enhanced virtualization, security, management, and diagnostics. MDOP includes the following technologies:
- Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V)
- Microsoft User Experience Virtualization (UE-V)
- Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V)
- Microsoft Advanced Group Policy Management (AGPM)
- Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM)
- Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT)
More than just another stack of Microsoft acronyms to learn, each toolset offers unique enhancements to organizations, allowing simplified application deployment, improved application compatibility, deeper security, and proactive management and monitoring of Windows PCs and devices. A recent whitepaper from IDC suggests that companies utilizing MDOP can save nearly $200 per PC per year. That whitepaper is available for download here: Desktop Optimization Using MDOP: Continued Investment Leads to Better Value.
MDOP 2013 R2 is available for download now from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Center.