If you have never developed for Windows before, or maybe it has been a while, and want to try it out the tools you have one main option and that is to setup a machine and install the Microsoft development environment.
That can be quite a task if you are just wanting to check things out initially and then decide whether or not to jump in with both feet.
Well the folks at Microsoft understand this and so they make a collection of virtual machines available for download so that you can run these tools in a virtual environment on a Mac or PC.
These virtual machines are 60 day evaluation versions of Windows and the related tools and are regularly updated whenever the Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) has a new build released.
You will also find these virtual machines available for most popular platforms such as VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox and Parallels.
This week Microsoft has released the latest updated versions of these evaluations virtual machines which contain:
- Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation, Version 1511
- Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 1
- Windows developer SDK and tools (Build 10586)
- Windows IoT Core SDK and Raspberry Pi 2 (Build 10586.0.151029-1700)
- Windows IoT Core project templates (Version 1.0)
- Microsoft Azure SDK for .NET (Build 2.8.2)
- Windows Bridge for iOS (Build 0.1.160304)
- Windows UWP samples (Build 2.0.4)
- Windows Bridge for iOS samples
You can read more about the Windows 10 development environment and find additional documentation and tools at the Windows Dev Center.
Looking for an awesome, no-nonsense technical conference for IT Pros, Devs, and Devops? Check out IT/Dev Connections!